July 26, 2022
In the wake of recent news of the US Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe. v. Wade, a 1973 Supreme Court ruling that protected the constitutional right to abortion, we at AIMC Berkeley are processing this historic decision, and committing to action. This decision means that abortion rights in many states have been or will be quickly be rolled back, with many “trigger laws” being enacted to take immediate effect to further ban abortion rights and access.
AIMC Berkeley stands firmly in the belief that abortions are a critical form of health and medical care, ensuring that people of all identities deserve to make their own decisions about their bodies. This belief is rooted in traditional East Asian medicine, where the patient is the expert on their experience and health. Fundamentally our medicine is about empowering our patients to live with comfort in their minds, bodies, and spirits, which means their choices and viewpoints are central to treatment. In our treatment spaces, the patient is always the expert on their needs, and we, the practitioners, are there to support their wishes, decisions, and journeys toward optimal health, whatever that means for them.
Below is a list of resources for ways to get involved, learn more, and take action. We stand in solidarity with Acupuncture students in states that are feeling the immediate impacts of a loss of access to abortion care & hope to be a resource, both in this document and in our community, to students and patients who may need support to access reproductive care.
- Access Reproductive Justice: Access connects Californians with information and practical support on all aspects of reproductive health.
- Exhale Pro-Voice: Exhale Pro-Voice offers nonjudgmental after-abortion support for people who have just had an abortion, their family members, children, or friends.
- Abortion Funds in Every State: Find location abortion funds by state to donate to.
- National Network of Abortion Funds: The National Network of Abortion Funds helps with the financial and logistical aspects of abortion care.
- Keep Our Clinics: Independent abortion clinics are targets of abortion restrictions and bans, and Keep Our Clinics offers a way to support them and keep them open.
- Repro Legal Defense Fund: The Repro Legal Defense Fund covers bail and funds strong defenses for people who are investigated, arrested, or prosecuted for self-managed abortion.
At-Home Abortion Support and Access:
- Reprocare Healthline: Reprocare Healthline offers accurate information and compassionate emotional support to those who are having an abortion with pills at home.
- The Brigid Alliance: The Brigid Alliance will help get people to their abortion appointments by offering help with the logistics, such as travel, lodging, childcare, and more.
- PLAN C: Plan C provides up-to-date information on how people in the U.S. are accessing at-home abortion pill options online.
- Hey Jane: Get fast, safe and affordable abortion pills shipped to your home. Consult with a medical provider within 24 hours.
- Choix: Choix is a telemedicine clinic providing reproductive & sexual healthcare in California, Colorado, Illinois & New Mexico.
- Abortion Finder: Abortion Finder has a comprehensive directory of safe, trusted, and verified abortion service providers in the United States.
- Vote! Check your voter status here. Support key election races in states where trigger laws and/or pre-Roes laws are on the ballot, and able to be vetoed by the sitting governor.
- Michigan: Governor Gretchen Whitmore
- Wisconsin: Governor Tony Evers
- Arizona: Candidate Katie Hobbs
- Pennsylvania: Candidate Josh Shapiro
- Georgia: Candidate Stacy Abrams
- Kansas: Governor Laura Kelly
- The Electoral 2022 Repro Coalition: Planned Parenthood, Emily’s List, NARAL Mobilize and attend events. Find local reproductive justice events, or create your own, here.